I've followed the elections pretty close this year. I am sickened by comments I see out there.
"Vote for McCain because he is not black."
"Vote for Obama because he is black."
"Vote for McCain because he chose a woman as his Vice President."
"Vote for Obama because he chose a veteran politician as his Vice President..." wait. That one makes sense.
Can we look at the issues? Can we look at what the issues the candidates think are important?
It seems to be a lot of back and forth -- Republicans blasted Obama for his lack of experience. Then who did McCain choose? Someone with even less practical experience.
I look at the Republican ticket and wonder who in the world would really vote for them? Who can give me really good reasons without mentioning race?
"Obama is a credit to his race."
"It's not that I have a problem with Obama's race. I just..don't like him."
"Obama has a minister who says radical (African-American) stuff."
COME ON FOLKS
Should Barack Obama approve EVERYTHING his minister says? No. I don't agree with everything my minister says. Everyone is able to have differing opinions from their clergy.
Am I voting for Obama BECAUSE he's black and I consider myself super-liberal? To be honest, I asked myself that very question. And the answer is no. I find him to be inspiring. I feel an excitement I have not ever felt during an election year in my life. Most importantly, his views correspond with many of mine.
I find Barack Obama addresses many things on his website. http://factcheck.barackobama.com/ lists all of the rumors that are circulating along with the facts that show many are false. He's not a Muslim, he did not take oath on the Koran. And, you know what? So what? Freedom of religion ... sound familiar? Not all Muslims are terrorists the same way as not all Baptists are casserole-baking, soul saving zealots.
If something were to, God forbid, happen to Obama as president, would Joe Biden make a good president? Honestly, I don't know that much about him.
What I do know is that he will make a HELLUVA better president than Sarah Palin. Let's face facts, McCain is not a spring chicken and he has had some cancer issues. The chances are pretty good he won't make it, God forbid, through the four years if elected president. What do we know about Sarah Palin? A little too much, I think.
I, personally, think she is a wack job. Being a beauty queen, mayor of a very small town, and governor of one of the least populated states does not make for a great vice president. She rambles when she talks to interviewers (just watch the interview with Charles Gibson and Katie Couric). I ramble too, but hey, I'm not up for being vice president of the country.
I think I'd much rather have Tina Fey as the vice president. That's an idea! I wonder if Tina would be up for it? I might change my vote if that happens.
This country was not built on religion. This country was built on FREEDOM of religion. To me, that means no "God talk" while doing nation business. Sarah Palin is all about the "God talk." The Republicans blast Obama for always talking about "change;" what about saying things are "God's will?"
She has a right to her church, the same as Barack Obama has a right to continue associating with Reverend Wright, if he wishes. I really don't want her in charge of my (lack of) civil liberties. I feel so bad for her daughter, Bristol. I also feel bad for Bristol's boyfriend, Levi. Can you imagine being a regular kid, putting foul words on your MySpace page (the same as lots of other teenagers), fooling around with your girlfriend and then, BAM, you are the center of attention. I don't think he's that bright, but I also don't think it's fair for him to be in the middle of this circus.
There is one issue where I am more conservative than most Democrats. That topic is abortion. I am so grateful I never came to a path in my life where that seemed the only option. And, to be honest if I had, I'm not sure I could have gone through with it. That is such a strong personal issue, and tempers usually fly when it's discussed. I would prefer no one ever have to make this choice. That's very naive of me, to be sure. I have to say I lean toward pro-choice because I don't think a politician has the right to tell me I can't do it. I strongly believe reliable birth control is the best way to go. In cases of rape or incest or endangering the mother's life, the decision to abort is a no-brainer. For all of the women who make this decision because of a "woops," my heart goes out to you. If you feel this is the only way out of situation, then I guess I come down on the side of pro-choice.
I'll stop this rant for now.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment